This year is looking a little different for Thanksgiving for many people, with smaller groups and the opportunity to make smaller dishes for their loved ones. These Sweet Potato Bites with Cranberry Hot Honey would be a perfect side dish for your smaller Thanksgiving gathering!
This week I received a darling insulated produce bag to try out Local Farm OK and their wonderful home-delivered, locally focused produce.
Let me give you a look at what was inside.
Everything was GORGEOUS and my mind was already going on what to do with some of these ingredients. Side note – did you know farmers typically only receive about three cents of every dollar for their produce selling through stores? Supporting a program like Local Farm OK would be a great way to help your local farmers! Each week you can opt in for what type of bag you want to be delivered to your front door! Oh! And check out their site for recipe ideas as well!
Covid 19 is something we will always probably remember about this particular Thanksgiving and here in Oklahoma, the numbers have been dangerously climbing. However, that doesn’t mean we cancel our celebration. We just might do things a little differently and we can still can enjoy a special more intimate feast with our loved ones and friends.
It actually gives you the opportunity to make some smaller dishes that are more intimate and special as well, like these Sweet Potato Bites with Cranberry Hot Honey! The crispy outside and the wonderful soft and creamy sweetness of the insides of the sweet potatoes are offset by this slightly-spicy, tangy honey which is also infused with some of the fresh herbs I received as well! These would be wonderful with my Turkey Roulades with Apple Cider Gravy or even a beautiful pork loin as a main!
Whatever you’re doing this season, I wish you the HAPPIEST and most-blessed of Thanksgivings ever. May you stop to count your blessings and love the people around you all day long.
- 4 sweet potatoes - 2 inches in diameter
- 2 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 T. honey goat cheese (soft kind)
- FOR THE CRANBERRY HOT HONEY
- 1 c. hot honey
- 1 c. fresh cranberries
- zest of one naval orange
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 c. chopped poblano pepper
- 1-2 T. jalapeno peppers
- 2 T. chopped mixed herbs of choice (I used rosemary, sage and thyme)
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Wash, pat dry and slice the sweet potatoes (skin on) into rounds ¼ inch thick
- In a large bowl, toss them with olive oil and salt and pepper then lay on a lined baking sheet (spaced to not touch)
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then flip and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes
- While sweet potatoes are baking, add cranberries, pablanos and jalapenos to food processor and pulse to small chunks
- In a small sauce pan set honey over medium low heat to come to a low simmer and add cranberries, peppers and orange zest and juice
- Simmer about 5 minutes until cranberries and peppers are softened - stir in fresh herbs and simmer one more minute
- Remove sweet potato rounds from onion and place small dollop of honey goat cheese in center of each round
- Return to oven for 5 minutes
- To serve - place sweet potato rounds on large platter. Drizzle each with Cranberry Hot honey or serve the sauce in a bowl on the side.