Spaghetti Squash Bacon Hash
I made this dish last Wednesday night for a quick on the fly with some leftover spaghetti squash I had baked the night before. It came together really quick and was delicious. Because we were in a hurry to get to our Lifegroup shortly after work, a quick breakfast-for-dinner seemed appropriate and sounded yummy. I didn’t take many pictures but the recipe is listed for you below!
OH! After I made my Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns a few weeks ago, my sister in law Cheryl told me I was baking my squash wrong. I corrected my technique and believe I like it better this way and it’s not as wet which makes for better hash browns and crispier hash.
Cut your spaghetti squash in half long ways and place it cut side up on a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and bake for 45 minutes. Gently scoop out seeds from the top. Take a fork or spoon and pull the squash out of the shell. A large spoon works great for me.
Enjoy the recipe below!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- ½ large spaghetti squash, baked in shell and strands scooped out (about 4 cups)
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- ½ large poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º
- In large oven safe skillet with heavy bottom, place skillet on medium heat and add bacon.
- Cook bacon for 5-7 minutes until almost crispy. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel line plate.
- Drain bacon fat and wipe out pan (or leave 1 T. bacon fat is desired)
- Add 1 T. olive oil or coconut oil to skillet and add onion and poblanos.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften, then add in squash.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well, then press squash lightly down evenly into pan.
- Sprinkle bacon over top evenly.
- Let squash set for 1-2 minutes to let bottom begin to crisp but not burn.
- Using a spoon, make a well (or indention) large enough to hold one egg, then make three more wells evenly spaced from the others.
- Crack an egg into each of the four holes
- Place skillet in oven and bake about 7-10 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are still soft.
- Remove and spoon onto plates.
- Makes 2 large servings or small small.
- *To bake spaghetti squash - cut in half long ways, place cut side UP on lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes at 350º. Let cool a bit then gently scoop out seeds. Scoop out spaghetti strands all the way to the shell and fluff with fork.