Southwest Breakfast Tacos
This has become our quick go-to breakfast that we whip up in a few short minutes and is soooo yummy! It’s not so much a recipe as it is a technique of layering.
You could switch these up to your liking by using bacon instead of turkey bacon or shredded pepper jack cheese for the Laughing Cow version, but we are trying to eat reasonably healthy so this is how we are making them of late.
Start out by cooking some turkey bacon. I usually microwave it and it takes exactly two minutes to do two pieces in our microwave. Sometimes I do three pieces because….
While that is cooking, fry up an egg or two.
I like to do ours in coconut oil.
The flavor is really great. And I also like to make my egg pretty by covering it and letting the steam cook the top of it. If you like your eggs scrambled, make em that way! Remove bacon and egg(s) to a plate.
Take some paper towel and wipe out almost all but a very light coating of the oil.
Then, add one of these.
Press it gently down with your fingers (possible burnt fingers way).
Or a spatula or tongs (much safer way) and let it slightly brown, then flip it over and brown the other side.
Remove to a plate.
These babies only have 1.5 grams of fat and 35 calories.
They come in wedges.
Spread one wedge down the center of the toasted tortilla.
Then add your bacon.
Then add your egg.
EVERYTHING is better with avocado.
It is a plain undisputed fact.
Purely optional, but it’s the way we do things in Oklahoma and I have completely given in to the fad.
Sprinkle on some liquid heat.
And there it is…the perfect Southwest Breakfast Taco.
Now you play the game …
The one where you try not to drip the egg yolk when you bust it.
And I lose.
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. coconut oil
- 2 Mission Carb Balance tortillas (3 g carbs)
- 2 wedges Laughing Cow Creamy Spicy Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
- Optional: chopped green onions to garnish
- Microwave bacon until crisp
- Fry egg in coconut oil to your liking
- sprinkle egg with salt and pepper
- Remove egg and bacon to plate or platter
- Wipe almost all oil out of nonstick pan
- Press tortilla into pan and lightly toast on both sides
- Spread tortilla down center with cheese wedge
- Lay bacon on top of cheese
- Lay egg on top of bacon
- Lay avocado wedges on top of egg
- Sprinkle with hot sauce and green onions if desired
- Fold up and eat!