Sour Cream Coffee Cake
My cousin Diane has been making this Sour Cream Coffee Cake for years and raving about it.
I never had the hankering to make it as I’m not much of a baker or a sweet-tooth anymore. I used to be such a bad sweet tooth gal that I ate frosting out of a can.
My mom will tell you when I was a teenager, I did one of those candy bar fundraisers for band- you know the ones? Where you can either get almonds or caramel or crispies in them? Well it came time for the fundraiser to be due and I had $50 worth of candy wrappers behind my bed and an empty box..
Also a true story.
These days, I’ve lost my sweet hankering. Instead, my kryptonite is a good salsa with some salty chips or my latest obsession- warmed gourmet olives with olive oil, plenty of crushed garlic cloves and lemon or orange peel in addition to a smattering of hot chili flakes.
However, on our recent trip to Michigan, I finally had a bite of Diane’s coffee cake, and I finally realized what the obsession was.
The story is that growing up in their childhood home, their neighbor brought this coffee cake over to them every Christmas. When they moved away, they couldn’t live without it, and they begged the recipe and have kept making it. Now it is a staple at every holiday gathering.
And I completely get why.
It’s sugar at its best. But it’s also moist and cinnamon-laced and crunchy on the bottom.
Remember to let the coffee cake cool completely before you try to get it out of your Bundt or tube pan. Make sure you fully grease the pan. If you make it in a Bundt pan or tube pan you can always put something pretty in the hole to decorate it for seasonal gatherings. Holly berries for Christmas etc. It doesn’t matter how you decorate it. A simple sprinkling of powdered sugar will do the trick and people will go crazy over it.
- CAKE BATTER INGREDIENTS
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 ¼ c. sour cream (full fat, not light)
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- ½ t. sea salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1 t. cinnamon
- ¼ c. sugar
- ¾ c. dark brown sugar
- 1 c. pecans, chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- CAKE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Grease Bundt pan with oil.
- Beat together butter and sugar. Add egg and beat. Add sour cream and mix.
- Mix remaining dry ingredients together.
- Add dry mix to butter/sugar/egg mixture and mix
- FILLING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Mix all together.
- Sprinkle half the filling in bottom of pan.
- Pour half the cake batter over filling.
- Sprinkle all but ¼ c. of remaining filling over batter.
- Pour remaining batter over filling.
- Smooth with spatula and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup of filling over top evenly.
- Bake at 325º for 50-60 minutes (check after 40 minutes) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to fully cool before removing from pan.
- Top with sprinkled powder sugar.