Skillet Chicken, Potatoes and Mushrooms
Kayla and I saw Jamie Oliver make something like this recently and were literally salivating watching him. We decided we had to make it.
We changed a few things and added in mushrooms. We’re both obsessed with mushrooms of late.
This is a no-brainer, one dish meal that is so good and so easy to fix! Well actually it’s 2, counting the pot to pre-cook the potatoes in.
I love meals that are thrown into a pot and cooked slow so that all the flavors mix and marry together to make deliciousness. I love it when potatoes get infused with a little of the fat of the meat they’re cooked with and mushrooms that take on the flavor of everything they’re surrounded by.
This is one of those meals.
Start by tossing a pound of small red potatoes into a pot of water, and let them cook until they’re fork tender. Leave the skins on. Just give them a quick scrub first.
Drain them and have them ready for your next step.
Place 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thights into a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Place the potatoes around the chicken and give them a gentle smash with your potato masher. Layer some mushrooms over top of all and cut 10 or so cherry tomatoes in half and scatter them over everything as well.
Chop up a few garlic cloves and sprinkled them over top and then make the dressing.
Send your garden picker out to pick some fresh oregano.
If you don’t have fresh, just use dried, but only used about 1/4 teaspoon as dried is always stronger! Mix in a tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano into 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Pour this over top of your entire skillet dish.
Pop it into a 400º oven and let it roast for about 45 minutes.
This was a fantastic, easy dinner and Mr. Wonderful and Kayla loved it. It was comfort food at its finest.
I love a good one-skillet dish don’t you?
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 10 cherry tomatoes, slice in half
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ c. olive oil
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- Preheat over to 400º. Cover potatoes in saucepan with water and bring to boil. Simmer and cook about 20 minute or until fork tender. Remove and drain. Lay chicken thighs in bottom of cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Place potatoes all around chicken in single layer and lightly smash tops down with potato masher. Scatter mushrooms and cherry tomatoes over top. Sprinkle with garlic. In small bowl, combine last 5 ingredients. Whisk together and drizzle over top of all. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with a green salad and some crusty bread.