Quinoa “Fried Rice”
Last night I was craving fried rice, but two problems faced me.
Number One – we were out of rice.
Number Two – rice is not diet friendly for me, or my love handles.
Opening up my cupboards, I found a new box of quinoa. Our family is regularly replacing white rice with quinoa for health benefit reasons. It has more protein and nutrients and our entire household is working out and trying to get summer swimsuit ready.
I just substituted the quinoa in place of the rice and the result was pretty darn good. We’ll be doing this often.
- 1 c. Quinoa
- 2 c. Water
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 eggs, mixed in bowl
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ c. Shredded carrots
- 1 c. Frozen peas, thawed
- ½ c. Red onion, chopped
- ½ c Low sodium soy sauce
- 1 T. Sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ t. Red pepper flakes
- 1 T. Chopped or grated fresh ginger
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with fork.
- Heat large frying pan or wok, add olive oil until a drop of water sizzles in it.
- Stir fry chicken until browning and cooked through, about five minutes, remove to plate.
- Add both onions, carrots and peas to pan and stir fry 2-3 minutes
- Scramble eggs in small bowl.
- Push veggies up side of pan and add eggs to skillet and scramble, about one minute.
- Mix sauce ingredients together
- Add quinoa to pan
- Add chicken to pan.
- Pour sauce over top and toss well
- Sprinkle with cilantro
- Remove to serving bowl and serve