Bacon lettuce and tomato. It evokes memories of childhood summertime evenings. Simple sandwiches of three components that cause a tastebud explosion filled with three flavors.
These Prosciutto Cups are inspired by a recipe I saw on Top Chef. Except only the cups made out of prosciutto inspired me..not the fillings. While chef worthy, they weren’t one of those recipes you or I would aspire to every day.
For you see the cups in these sweeties are made of thinly sliced prosciutto, thinly sliced, molded and baked, but the filling was very “Top Chef” and not very “everyday life home cook extraordinaire”. It got me thinking..what could I put in them that would be simple and fun?
Prosciutto …it’s basically bacon without the smokey flavor. What do I think about when I think of bacon?
Eggs, obviously..but not for an appetizer.
Bacon. Lettuce. Tomato. Sandwiches.
There we go. And hence is the inspiration. Let’s see where the mad path of culinary inspiration took me last night.
Take some very thinly sliced prosciutto. I found it in this pack at my local grocer.
These individual slices are paper-thin and perfect for this recipe.
Take each slice and cut it in half to form a 3×3 square.
Take one slice and press it up and around a mini-muffin tray that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray.
Mold it around the muffin molds with your thumb so it’s snugly fitting.
Then pop the entire tray into the oven at 350º for about 12 minutes.
When it comes out, it will look like this.
- 1/4 lb. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded arugula or lettuce of choice
- 12 package cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 T. sundried tomatoes (not oil packed), finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 1 cup mayonaisse
- garnish -chopped scallions, basil or other fresh herb
- Lightly coat a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray.Cut prosciutto into 3 inch by 3 inch squares. Lay a square of prosciutto gently into each muffin mold on the tray.Bake in 325 degree oven until dry and crisp, approximately 12 minutes. Remove cups from tray and reserve on paper towel until ready to assemble.
- Sun-dried tomato Aoili
- Mix all 3 ingredients together well.
- To assemble – spoon a 1/2 teaspoon of aoili inside of cups. Top with lettuce and top with a cherry tomato.