Lettuce Roll Ups with Peanut Sauce
This was a pretty and healthy appetizer I made for our Super Bowl party.
I have been trying to watch the waistline but truly hate giving up flavor.
So Super Bowl Sunday, Tori and I shared the kitchen for our respective parties.
She made my Triple Cinnamon Snickerdoodle Bars and I caught her sneaking a taste of the beaters.
Oh to be young and have a metabolism again!
Anyway, Mr. Wonderful and I rolled these up shortly before the party. I think they turned out so pretty and colorful don’t you?
The inspiration for these came from a photo I saw on Pinterest. You know those pins that lead to nowhere when you click them?
Yeah, this was one of them, so I had to wing the recipe on my own.
You’ll need an entire package of egg roll wrappers.
I used these and found them at Wal-Mart in the produce cold section by the lettuce and such.
I used pre- julienned carrots, finely sliced purple cabbage, leaf lettuce and cucumbers but I think shaved almonds, thinly sliced red peppers or sticks of zucchini would also be great.
Take one egg roll wrapper and dip your fingers in a bowl of water. Moisten about one inch on opposite ends of the wrappers. This will help them stick shut when you roll them up. Take two small pieces of leaf lettuce and place them so the frilly ends are just over the ends of the wrapper like so…
This will make them pretty!
Now add your veggies in strips down the middle of the lettuce.
Then cup your fingers with both hands over the toppings and begin to roll the wrapper up pushing the toppings back against the wrapper as you roll so none spill out onto the rest of the wrapper.
I would like to point out that those are Mr. Wonderful’s hairy arms. Thank you.
Keep rolling all the way until the wrapper connects over itself. The water should help it stick shut.
After you’re done rolling all of these, cut them down the middle and place them in a high-sided dish with the ends facing up where the lettuce peeks out.
I used my favorite peanut sauce recipe for these, as I’ve never found one I like better. Serve it a bowl tucked right into the dish with the lettuce roll-ups.
There are some pretty good store-bought peanut sauces out there but none this delicious, so give it a try!
These do not keep well as leftovers so eat them ALL up immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap to keep the wrappers from drying out.
It’s ok to eat a BUNCH of these though as they are full of crunchy healthy vegetables right?
Happy nibbling and grazing!
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- 1 c. Julienned carrots
- 1 c. Shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
- Shaved almonds
- Thinly sliced red peppers
- Thinly sliced raw zucchini
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced or grated ginger
- ? teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili oil
- ½ teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 c. water to thin
- In a small saucepan, whisk all ingredients but water for the Peanut Dipping Sauce over low heat until heated through.
- Drizzle in water until sauce is consistency of mayonnaise and lightens in color.
- lay our one egg roll wrapper
- Dip fingers in bowl of water and moisten two opposite ends of wrapper lightly
- Lay two pieces of leaf lettuce across center of wrapper leaving frilly ends slightly longer than the ends of wrapper
- Lay lines of carrot, and other veggies down center of lettuce.
- Roll up wrappers keeping care to hold fillings in with both hands as you roll.
- Keep rolling until ends wrap around each other and stick from water.
- Roll remaining wraps.
- Cut each wrap in half and place in high sided dish or bowl.
- Add peanut sauce to bowl and serve immediately.
- If not using immediately, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Is not good for leftovers.
- Peanut sauce keeps for a week in refrigerator.