Herbed Cream Cheese Christmas Wreath
Christmas begs for appetizers.
If it can look festive and even be cheesy (cream cheesy) enough to pull in brilliant colors of red and green? Even better!
There are certain things you just take shortcuts on, and one of them is crescent rolls. There are these new versions that are in traditional roll shape instead of crescent-shaped.
Pop them open and either on a pizza pan or stone or even a cookie sheet, shape them into a wreath, leaving two out to form a bow later on. I used two packages to make a larger wreath.
Put them into the oven and back according to package directions. I left an inch in between them to allow for spreading.
After baking, I decided I didn’t think a pizza stone, seasoned as it was, was a pretty background, so I opted to carefully put the puzzle pieces together on a Christmas tray.
Then I realized the pattern on the tray was too distracting and thought that white would be better.
Then I realized my platter wasn’t big enough and got thoroughly confused and got tired of food styling nonsense.
ANYWAY, then I made a herbed cream cheese spread to go over top.
Add one 8 ounce block of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream, a teaspoon of dill, 1 garlic clove, either chopped or pressed through a garlic press, 2 chopped green onions, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and dash of salt and pepper.
Blend it all up with a mixer and then apply a generous dollop on top of each crescent round.
Then take your knife or spreader and smooth out the tops all the way across the rolls.
Chop up a half of a head of broccoli into tiny florets.
Also chop up one-half of a red pepper into tiny pieces.
Sprinkle each over the rolls.
Over the two rolls you’ve made into the bow, only sprinkle red peppers.
I think it’s kind of pretty.
And the dill herbed cream cheese with hint of garlic and green onions mixed with the fresh crunchy vegetables?
If you can prep the cream cheese several hours ahead of time or even the night before to let the flavors meld and marry…it’s that much better.
Merry Christmas season everyone! I hope you are all as blessed as I am!
- 1 8 oz. package crescent roll rounds (or 2 for large wreath)
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- ½ c. Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t. dry dill
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 dash pepper
- ½ head broccoli, crowns chopped fine
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Arrange rolls once inch apart in a circle on a pizza stone or pan or baking sheet
- Leave 2 rolls in the middle of the circle touching to use for the bow of the wreath
- Bake according to package directions
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Mix together yogurt or sour cream with remaining ingredients except for broccoli and red pepper
- Chop broccoli and red pepper
- Spread cream cheese over wreath so the rolls appear to be connected.
- Sprinkle broccoli and red pepper over wreath
- Sprinkle red pepper only over bow