What can I say about these Green Chile Au Gratin Potato recipe?
Growing up, we used to go to a family restaurant named Bill Knapp’s. I knew I had culinary tastebuds because while other kids were wanting Little Ceasers and McDonalds, I was lobbying for my folks to take me to Bill Knapps to get homemade biscuits, bean soup and roasted chicken.
But perhaps my favorite childhood memory at Bill Knapp’s was their au gratin potatoes.
The waiter would bring them out in white ramekin. The golden cheese sauce smothered chunks of tender potatoes and it was baked so that the top was golden and even a little browned to a gold crisp around the edges.
My mouth waters just remembering….
My version is a little different but equally as mouth watering. My grown-up tastes need a little more kick to the cheese sauce which is elevated here with some poblano peppers and hot sauce but is just as indulgent.
I’ve also sliced them thin, circled them like a rosette and baked them in a deep-dish pie dish for fun, but you could also just layer them in an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish as well. For a crowd, double the recipe and put in a 9 x 13!
What can I say…living in the southwest has me always needing a little more punch of flavor?
These would go nicely as a side for an Easter ham, or even a juicy grilled steak or pork chops.
- 2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes (can use russet)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 T hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1 c. gruyère,cheese ( can sub emmental)
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Chop onion, and pobalano.
- Mince garlic
- Place potatoes in rosette fashion around a greased deep dish pie dish. Alternately you can use an oval baking dish or even an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish
- Melt butter & flour in a sauce pan and cook rue 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and milk along with salt and pepper Whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in pepper onion and garlic mixture along with both cheeses until cheeses are fully melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes, spreading to cover evenly.
- Cover with tented foil (sprayed with cooking spray)
- Bake 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are cooked.
|Poblano Chile Mac N Cheese
Does anything say comfort food like creamy homemade Mac N Cheese? Not in my book. Or my families...
|Kale Waldorf Salad – A Healthy Recipe Redo
Growing up, my Mom used to make Waldorf Salad. I remember how the creamy coolness of the mayonnaise-based...
|Navy Bean Soup
I have been on a soup kick ever since the cold has hit us this winter. This was, I believe, the...
|Leftover Baked Potato Hash
This week during our youth small group that meets at our home we had a baked potato bar. This always...