Geoffrey Zakarian’s Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
Geoffrey Zakarian’s Grilled Sweet Potato Salad. I love it so much, I had to share it with you.
I saw him make this on The Kitchen a few months back and my mouth literally watered and I knew I had to make it.
As life goes on, I have pretty much moved past potato salads laden with mayonnaise, preferring instead recipes with a vinegar base, even thought this recipe for my Roasted Potato Salad is still near and dear to my heart. I would never have thought it would work with sweet potatoes, but I tell you – paired with the tartness of the apples and the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the crunch of the walnuts?
You know how some recipes disappoint because the look so good but then they fall flat?
Yeah, this is NOT one of those recipes.
It’s every bit as good as it looked! I changed it just a bit by steaming the sweet potato slices first before grilling them but the rest is spot on to how he made it and we will make it again and again.
I hope you love Geoffrey Zakarian’s Grilled Sweet Potato Salad as much as I do!
Here is the original recipe from The Kitchen if you prefer!
- 3 sweet potatoes, skin on and sliced into ½-inch rounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the potatoes
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar, preferably Chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 green apple, cored and julienned
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- Fresh parsley and cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Place sweet potatoes in microwave safe bowl and microwave about 10 minutes until fork tender but slightly firm
- Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper and toss with enough olive oil to coat.
- Grill the potatoes until caramelized, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and allow them to come to room temperature.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, capers, honey, mustard and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dice the potatoes into large chunks and toss in a bowl with the scallions and walnuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dress the potatoes with enough vinaigrette to coat the salad.
- Top with the apples, chives, sesame seeds, cilantro and parsley and serve.