Garden Baked Eggs
It’s mid-summer and the garden is going full swing, the chickens are happily laying eggs and Kayla is home for a week with her friend Hannah.
We’ve been frequenting coffee shops and showing her around Oklahoma City as well as cooking up all kinds of food. Friday night Mr. Wonderful fired up the pizza oven and we stuffed ourselves full of homemade pizza and s’mores.
The next morning I wanted something light and full of vegetables so I created these Garden Baked Eggs and served them with plenty of fresh fruit on the side. They are full of protein and flavor without all the bread and heavy cheese most breakfast casseroles weigh you down with. It was delicious.
That is until sweet Stoney pulled the baking dish off the counter while we were all out of the kitchen and the leftovers crashed to the floor.
He couldn’t help himself.
He knew it was fanstastic as well.
- 12 eggs
- ½ c. milk
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. chopped bell peppers, red, orange or yellow
- ½ c. chopped red onion
- ½ c. chopped chives
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ c. shishito peppers sliced thinly
- ⅔ c. goat cheese crumbled
- Other options:
- 1 c. chopped kale or spinach
- 1 c. crumbled bacon or sausage or chopped ham
- substitute jalapenos or poblanos for shishitos for more of a kick
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Beat eggs and milk together
- Spray 9 x 13 inch baking pan
- In a large skillet saute bell peppers, red onion, chives, zucchini, and shishitos over medium heat about 3-4 minutes
- Pour all into egg pan and add tomatoes and goat cheese, mix again
- Pour into baking dish and bake 25 minutes or until edges are browning and fork inserted into middle comes out clean.