Curried Chicken Salad Avocado Cups
I always love to partner with Produce for Kids each year. As an avid gardener and lover of all vegetables, I often incorporate produce into my recipes without even thinking because to me, it is what makes them complete. Chicken Salad in an avocado half just makes sense right?
Also every year Produce for Kids partners with Homeland stores in Oklahoma. Both believe in a healthier generation and try to help families by offering recipes and inspiration during their campaign every year.
The annual Produce for Kids campaign is taking place at all Homeland Stores now through June 30. Be on the lookout out for the Produce for Kids logo near participating fresh produce to find out how you can help end hunger. Click here to find out more.
This year I am using a couple of the ingredients offered by the sponsors contributing to the campaign. They are as follows:
Avocados From Mexico
Delano Farms Company Table Grapes
Green Giant™ Fresh Romaine, Iceberg & Cauliflower
Sage Fruit® Apples & Cherries
RealSweet® Vidalia® Onions
Victory Garden® Grape Tomatoes
I came up with these Curried Chicken Salad in Avocado Cups after falling in love with a similar dish at a local Peruvian restaurant.
They will become a regular staple at my house and I hope you’ll enjoy them as well!
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken or about 6 c. shredded chicken
- 6 avocados halved and pitted
- ½ c. chopped yellow onion
- ½ c. chopped celery
- 1 c. sliced grapes
- 1 c. sliced honeycrisp apples
- ½ c. plain Green Yogurt
- ½ c. light mayonnaise
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. sugar
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- 1 t. curry powder
- Optional 1 T. chopped fresh dill or cilantro
- Optional: Shaved or slivered almonds
- ¼ c. greek yogurt
- ¼ light mayonnaise
- ½ t chipotle and adobe sauce
- Pull meat off chicken and shred it but not too finely
- Chopped fruit and vegetables
- Mix yogurt, mayo, mustard and sugar, spices (and herbs if using) ogether in bottom of large bowl
- Add in chicken and fruit and vegetables and fold to mix caring not to mash things up too much
- Spoon large spoonful of salad into avocado halves, mounding it up to desired proportion (I use ⅓ to ½ c. per avocado half)
- Mix all ingredients whisk until smooth
- Drizzle with sauce (can spoon into piping bag or plastic bag and snip off a tiny piece of one corner to squeeze on )