Brown Sugared Balsamic Mushrooms
Oh my gosh. If you are a mushroom lover, you must make these Brown Sugared Balsamic Mushrooms! They are glazed deliciousness! I must show you how to make this recipe!
Must, must, must!
Mr. Wonderful grilled up a couple of sirloin steaks, and while he was doing that, I was doing this…
Get one package of button or cremini mushrooms.
You can buy the sliced ones, but I preferred them chunkier and meatier, so I bought whole ones and quartered them up.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil together. When the butter bubbles, swirl it all together.
Dump in your mushrooms.
Hello little babies that I love!
Sauté these around for about two minutes, stirring often, then pour in one cup of beef broth or stock. Stock is richer and more flavorful, but broth will work!
And also add in 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
Also add in 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar.
Season all this up with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Now you just stir this all up and let it simmer.
This process will take about 20 minutes, but you want the sauce to reduce down and get all syrupy and thick. Go on with your life but stir it every so often.
The flavors are going to intensify and cook into the mushrooms.
And it’s going to be a lovely, lovely thing.
If your syrup gets too thick, just add a little bit more beef broth and stir it up.
Pour into a serving dish to spoon over your steak.
And then serve up your steak and ladle some of these babies over top. Make sure you get plenty of sauce as well.
Oh my goodness, is this good…yes it is very good.
I think adding in some chopped fresh rosemary would be wonderful next time…and speaking of next time…
(Addition: I added a pinch of red pepper flakes when making these this weekend, and it’s SO good! The heat of the pepper mixed with the sweet/sour of the sauce is heaven!)
I can’t wait to make it again. Would steak two nights in a row be okay?
- 1 package whole button or cremini mushrooms
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. beef broth or stock
- ⅓ c. balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ c. brown sugar
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- Optional but delicious: pinch of red pepper flakes
- Chop mushrooms in quarters. Over medium heat in skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. Swirl together to mix.
- Add mushrooms and stirring frequently, let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is syrupy like pancake syrup. (Could take up to 20).
- If sauce gets too thick, add a little more beef broth.
- Add red pepper flakes, if using.
- Spoon over grilled steaks.