Baked or Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Saturday we hosted a cookout/birthday party for my BFF’s hubby Dale. We made hamburgers and hotdogs and everyone brought delicious sides to go with them. I never quite made it through most of my hamburger and never touched a hot dog however, because of these…
I have shied away from making these because, even though I am loving spicier things of late, I thought these would be blazing hot and unbearable.
I couldn’t have been more wrong.
These are amazing and really not overly hot at all. What they are is just plain dangerous!
And since Mr. Wonderful has been on a DIY palette kick, he made us this awesome pepper raised bed planter on the side of the house. It’s devoted to jalapenos, habaneros and even a few green/red pepper plants as well. This will solve our over-watering problem from last year since the peppers and tomatoes were in the same beds.
If we do well, and get scads of peppers, this is what we’ll be making all summer long with them!
Here is my version of Jalapeno Poppers! The recipe calls for 20 whole jalapenos which makes 40 poppers. There were eight of us Saturday night and they didn’t last long!
Cut each jalapeno in half long ways and scrape out the seeds with a spoon tip.
Please use gloves when doing this or you’ll end up rubbing your nose or eyes or face and end up in a state of major discomfort.
Mix together 2 packages of cream cheese (8 oz) with a cup of shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese, four chopped green onions, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Take twenty slices of bacon and cut them in half. Just slice across all of them at once.
Using a spoon, stuff each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture – right even with the top or maybe mounded a tad over.
Then take a slice of bacon and wrap it snugly around the entire thing. Start with the bacon on the bottom side and loop it over top and around, tucking the end back around the bottom.
Some people insert toothpicks to hold the bacon, but I don’t find it necessary as long as you tuck both ends underneath the pepper.
Make the other nineteen the same exact way, spacing them evenly on a baking pan. You can also grill them but I made them ahead of time in the oven, then took them out to Mr. Wonderful to toss on the grill just to reheat and crisp up the bacon a tad while he made the rest of the food.
I completely forgot to take a picture out on the grill, because once I tasted one of these, I ate another…and then another…and so did everyone else. And they were flat gone in about five minutes.
I foresee these becoming a regular at any and all cookouts we do in the future.
And everyone said…AMEN.
- 20 jalapeno peppers
- 2 (8oz) blocks cream cheese, room temperature and softened
- 1 c. shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- 20 slices bacon, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds and ribs with tip of spoon (wear gloves!)
- Mix together cheeses, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Using a spoon, stuff each pepper half with cream cheese mixture to make it slightly above being level with the top of the pepper.
- Wrap each pepper with a piece of bacon, starting with the bacon underneath the jalapeno then looping the top over top of the jalapeno and ending up with the other end tucked under the jalapeno as well. Try to make bacon surface cover as much of the cream cheese as possible.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes or until bacon has crisped.
- Place on grill over medium heat cut side up and grill about 6 minutes then flip and grill on other side another 6 minutes or until bacon is crisp.