One day last year when we were snowed in, I scrounged around in my kitchen yesterday and created these Peppermint Bark Bites. I also ate a bite or two.
Okay, I ate several whole pieces.
Don’t judge me, they were GOOD!
For this recipe, you’ll need one bag each of dark chocolate chips and one bag of white chocolate chips, some crushed candy canes or starlight peppermints and some mini-muffin cups.
Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute.
While that’s microwaving, line a mini muffin tin with 18 liners.
Take the chocolate out and stir it for about 30 seconds.
If you still see lumps that haven’t melted, pop it back into the microwave for 30 seconds. Then remove it and stir it again. It took mine 90 seconds total but I have a pretty strong microwave. If you do it too long, the chocolate may “sieze” or get thick and clumpy. If this happens, add a drizzle of water and stir it really well.
Take a spoon or a cookie dough scoop (this really works great!) and fill the muffin tins a little less than halfway full. . Every 4 cups you fill, gently shake the entire muffin tin and it will help level out the white chocolate to be smoother. Be careful and try not to get any on the top half of the muffin cups.The neater you are, the prettier they will be.
If you do, take a clean teaspoon and gently push it off the sides and back into the white chocolate.
Yeah I know, that spoon doesn’t look clean, but you know that whole “Do as I say and not as I do thing?”.
Yeah, do THAT!
Learn from the Dishin lady’s mistakes okay?
Now sprinkle some of your crushed candy canes over top of this layer.
Now repeat the same process with the dark chocolate chips. Microwave, stir, microwave ever 30 seconds until it is nice and smooth.
Spoon some dark chocolate into each muffin tin right over the white chocolate and crushed candy canes but not quite right to the top.
Shake it and clean up the top of the dark chocolate as best as you can.
Remember these are homemade goodies so a little imperfection makes them look that way!
Sprinkle more crushed candy canes on the top of each muffin tin.
And let them cool for at least 15 minutes to a half hour. The refrigerator would spead up the process!
You can serve them in the muffin cups or peel them off and let the layers show.
I think they’re adorable for Christmas.
Or leave the wrappers on and package them up for a cute gifting to someone special!
Either way, you won’t be able to resist popping one or two in your mouth before you decide!
- 1 (12 oz) bag dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (12 oz) bag white chocoalte chips
- 1 c. crushed peppermint candy
- 18 mini-muffin cups
- Melt white chocolate chips in microwave, beginning with one minute, then removing and stirring for 30 seconds.
- If not smooth, microwave in 30 second increments, stopping to stir to see if it's smooth.
- Using spoon or small cookie dough scoop (best), fill tins a little less than half full, being careful not to drip on top half of cup.
- Jiggle pan after each four filled to keep the chocolate level.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon or so of crushed candy canes over top of each.
- Repeat melting procedure with dark or semi-sweet chocolate, until smooth.
- Spoon just short of the top of each muffin liner. Sprinkle another ½ teaspooh over top of dark chocolate.
- Allow to cool 15- 30 minutes to set.