Hey friends! Wow! Spring has kicked in around here and we’ve done what we usually do, migrate outside at every possible chance and putter in the garden, greenhouse. Somehow I’ve still managed to cook, and even made this French Creamy Mustard Chicken recipe in between but let me show you what’s been up around the garden!
The Sweet Williams, Amaryllis and Johnny Jump-Ups are ambitiously reaching for the sky.
This is my first year planting Cardinal Climber (bottom left of that pic) vines and I am so in love with their brilliant almost fluorescent fuchsia color! I may never plant morning glories again!
We have scads of spring produce coming up like Buttercrunch, Romaine, Mesclun Mix, Kale, Spinach, Radishes and more.
Mr. Wonderful, has finally finished working on various projects, his most substantial being our new outdoor pizza oven.
We are going to have many fun-filled friend and family events shoveling our loved ones’ creations into that scorching hot oven and pulling out delicious wonders from it! I can’t wait to try other things as well, like roasting vegetables or baking bread in it!
The one thing that is NOT growing abundantly this year is asparagus. I was excited for the third year harvest and watched expectantly, waiting for the bundled little plum and green heads to pop up through the ground, but we’ve only had two or three in both beds.
However there is hope!
Asparagus inspired this dish by adding some spring to its mustard-creamy sauce for a bright pop of green and freshness. You can go healthier with it by using boneless skinless thighs or breasts or go for the crispy skin surrounded with luxurious sauce. Use Greek yogurt for the cream also, if you choose. It’s still fantastic!
I hope you’ll enjoy it while I go mope in the corner over not being able to pick my own asparagus!
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or skin on if preferred
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c.chopped onion
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 1 c. low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ c. Dijon mustard
- ¼ c whole grain mustard
- ¼ c. Greek yogurt or heavy cream
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound asparagus
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- Chop bacon into lardons (1/2 inch pieces) and saute over medium high heat until almost crisp, remove to paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but a tablespoon of bacon fat
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet cooking until browned 7-8 minutes turning half way through. Remove chicken to plate with bacon
- Saute onion in pan 2-3 minutes until transluscent
- Add wine and thyme scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and cook until reduced down by at least half.
- Whisk in broth and mustards. heavy cream or yogurt and salt and pepper. Stir until smooth, simmering gently
- Cut asparagus into one inch pieces, discarding the woody ends.
- Add chicken and bacon back in the pan, and also add in asparagus pieces, allowing the chicken to cook through about 5 minutes and asparagus to cook until your preference
- Garnish with fresh thyme and or parsley to serve