I have had a serious love affair going on with Poke Bowls. Remember my first attempt at making these? I’m not kidding you! I could eat one every other day at least! This latest version features smoked salmon and crab salad and it might be my favorite version yet!
A little note on crab salad – you know the one you get inside of a sushi roll? I couldn’t believe when I looked it up how easy it is to make. Get a package of flaked imitation crab meat, put it in a deep bowl and blitz it with your hand mixer until it shreds all apart, then mix a little mayo and a tiny drizzle of sesame oil into it. SO EASY. You can also use the imitation crab sticks but you’ll have to cut them into one inch pieces or they won’t shred well with the mixer. Want spicy crab salad? Drizzle in a squirt or two of Sriracha.
Also I’ve included the recipe for a spicy mayo that is wonderful drizzled over the top of your poke bowl. However, just in case you need a shortcut, this stuff is wonderful and you can buy it at most grocery stores in the Asian section.
How in the world can you go wrong with something called Yum Yum?
P.S. Did you know I have made a Power/Buddha/Poke Bowl section now on my recipe list just in case you’re obsessed with them like me? You can find them under Meats & Main Dishes or click here.
I love that they are healthy but also full of flavor and you can switch things up in them to your tastes. In fact, Oklahoma City and many other cities are seeing poke bowl shops cropping up all over so I know I’m not alone in my love!
Oh and before I forget…we have a new BABY in the family. Since Chris and Stacy got married, we now have a new addition into our family – Chris adopted Zacary so we got our first grandBOY! And now he has a new baby brother and so does Emelia too!
Meet Patrick Michael, our new baby grandboy born on January 7th! One day before his Grandma (that’s me!) and four days before Mr. Wonderful – his Papa! He has perfect skin and sleeps like a little angel when you hold and cuddle him. He’s so cute and squishy and he has a cry like a little lamb.
We might be biased but we think people and babies born in January are special!
Speaking of special, I hope you are a poke bowl fan and try to make these.
By the way -it is pronounced ‘po-kay’, just in case you are tempted to say poke, the way it is spelled!
Now…go forth and make poke bowls!
- 2 c. shredded imitation crab meat
- 2 heaping T. mayo
- 2 t.. sesame oil
- Smoked salmon -about 1 oz per bowl or to taste
- FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ c. soy sauce)
- 1 T Asian rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Asian toasted sesame oil
- 1 T. honey
- 1 t. fresh grated ginger
- ¼ tsp wasabi paste
- FOR THE SPICY MAYO (or buy Yum Yum Sauce)
- 3 T. mayonnaise
- 1t-1 T. Shriracha hot sauce, to taste for spiciness
- FOR THE BOWLS
- Smoked salmon
- crab salad
- Shredded carrots
- Cubed cucumbers
- Green onions
- Shaved almonds
- thinly sliced nori
- Green of choice – kale, spinach, romaine, roughly chopped
- 4 c. cooked grain of choice –brown or white rice, farro, quinoa mixed with 1 T. seasoned rice wine vinegar
- FOR THE CRAB SALAD
- Using a hand mixer, Cut the crab into ½″ pieces if using crab sticks. If using flaked imitation crab no need to cut then blitz with the hand mixer until it looks like crab salad.. Add sriacha if you’d like it spicier.
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Mix all together in a small bowl. Add smoked salmon, cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble bowls (no more than 30 minutes). Alternately you can drizzle sauce over entire bowl when done (about 3 tablespoons or to taste).
- FOR THE SPICY MAYO
- Stir together the mayo and Sriracha in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- TO ASSEMBLE BOWLS
- Divide grain of choice into 4 bowls and smooth evenly. Add salmon to center of each bowl. Then working around the outside edge of each bowl, add each other ingredient to fill bowl in circle.
- Drizzle with soy sauce mixture and spicy mayo.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Alternately you can buy smoked salmon filets in the meat aisle and cook them for more meat and if you prefer cooked salmon instead of cold smoked. Just bake in the oven and flake when done.