Lately I’ve had a little love affair with beets and recipes with beets. I also have a love affair with mixed salad greens, particularly of late, thinly sliced kale (although not a lettuce) and spring mix, which I adore.
I don’t know what it is, but I actually crave them. Have you had fresh roasted beets? I’m not talking the pickled ones out of the can. I’m talking the ones you can buy in the produce section, with their scarlet goodness hidden inside of a rough and sometimes dirt covered peel that are still attached to their green leafy tops?
If you’ve never made roasted beets, you can read my tutorial here.
However, in this case, and to make the roasting time even faster, I just sliced the beets about 1/4 inch thick.
Then I lightly drizzled them with olive oil and put them on a sheet pan covered with foil (no cleaning a pan!) and popped it into the oven for about 20 minutes on 400º.
When they came out, they were gorgeous, cranberry red and glistening.
Next I made my very favorite garlic vinaigrette. You can shake it in a jar, or whisk it up in a bowl or pouring cup. Pour 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of honey and 2 chopped or pressed cloves of garlic into a bowl or jar. Also add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Take a whisk and while whisking pretty quickly, while drizzling in 1/2 cup of olive oil.
Next I just put the salad together.
You can add your own favorite choice of lettuce. This is some out of my backyard. Normally I’d probably use spring mix. I added a few slices of roasted beets. Then sprinkled on some feta cheese and sliced red onion. Usually I sprinkle on some roughly chopped walnuts, but I forgot tonight.
Then I drizzle on some of that tangy and garlicky dressing.
And there you have it – a simple beet salad.
And I am craving another one …right now.
- FOR THE DRESSING
- ⅓ c. red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 T. dijon mustard
- ¼ c. honey
- ¼ t. salt
- sprinkle of pepper
- ½ - ⅔ c olive oil (I lean towards less)
- FOR THE SALD
- 3-4 medium to large size beets
- ¼ c. feta cheese
- red onion
- walnuts (optional)
- FOR THE DRESSING
- Add first 7 ingredients to jar or bowl and shake or whisk.
- Add olive oil (slowly if whisking in bowl, all in and shake if using jar).
- If using sour cream or yogurt, add in and whisk or shake again.
- FOR THE SALAD
- Peel beets and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Place on baking sheet lined with foil.
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven at 400º for 20 minutes.
- (Should cut easily with fork when done)
- Put greens in large bowl or individual plates.
- Top with 4-5 beet slices.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese (about 1 T. per salad).
- Slice red onion thinly and scatter a few slices over top of each salad.
- Roughly chop walnuts and scater a few over each salad.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over each and serve.
If you love beets like I do, check out these other great recipe ideas from bloggers featuring them in Food Network’s Summerfest!!
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Star Anise Ginger Pickled Beets
The Heritage Cook: Rosemary Roasted Beets, Potatoes and Peppers
Dishing: Beetroot Brownies / Beet Brownies
Devour: 4 Beet Salad Best Bets
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Beet Greens with Balsamic Glazed Beets
Red or Green: Sweet and Spicy Roasted Beet and Bacon Salad
Virtually Homemade: Beet Risotto with Goat Cheese
Domesticate Me: Ginger-Soy Glazed Salmon with Asian Beet Slaw
Dishin & Dishes: Roasted Beet Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette
Taste With The Eyes: Shrimp, Beet, Raspberry, Radicchio and Rose Salad
Weelicious: Red Beet and White Bean Hummus
FN Dish: 5 Ways to Brighten Beets