Crab Rangoon Pizza -Like Fong’s Recipe2012-07-25
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
This is my daughter Kayla and her best friend and roommate Brettley from ORU.
Kayla went home with Brettley to Iowa at Christmas for a week, and they kept telling me about this pizza they had.
Crab Rangoon Pizza.
I was intrigued, and set about figuring out how to make it this week. I wanted to test it out as they’re coming here to visit next weekend for Easter. I even named it after them Kayla/Brettley – KB Rangoon Pizza!
For those of you who may not be familiar with the term, Crab Rangoon is a deep fried wonder usually seen on Chinese Buffets. It is a wonton wrapper filled with a mixture of cream cheese, onions and sometimes horseradish, then sealed shut and deep fried. You may have seen it.
The experiment was a success and this was ohhhh so good.
This part may be difficult for you, so if you can’t find wonton wrappers, you could still make this without them. We have an asian market that carries them but many grocery stores now do as well. They are in the refrigerated section.
Slice the wontons (do several at once) up into strips and then lay them out onto a lined cookie sheet that you’ve brushed with olive oil. Brush the tops of the strips with a little olive oil and then pop into a hot 400º oven for about 10 minutes or until the strips brown up and are crispy.
Find some flatbread at your local grocery store. I used Toufayan Multigrain Flatbread (if you’re from Oklahoma, I got it at Crest).
The rest of you? I don’t know what to tell you…but look for it! In a pinch, wheat tortillas may work?
Take a block of cream cheese, chop up one-half an onion super fine, and measure out 2 tablespoons of horseradish. Don’t worry, the horseradish is almost undetectable but it just gives it something yummy. I used fat-free cream cheese, and it was really really good. We’re trying to eat lowfat …
At the moment anyway.
Dump this all into a bowl and mix it up with your mixer.
Take one of your flatbreads and put it on a pizza round or a lined cookie sheet, and spread an even layer of this mixture over it, going almost to the edge.
Now, if you want to be really gourmet, buy some real lump crab meat, but the girls told me they just used the “orange crab stuff” so I just bought the imitation, which is really just white fish.
Next, sprinkle some shredded Asiago cheese over top of the crab meat. You could use any cheese you love, even mozerella.
Chop up some green onions and sprinkle those over top of the cheese.
Then shake some parmesan on top of that. I know, I know, fresh would be so much better (and I agree! Use it!) but this was all I had laying around. Go ahead…chew me out. I deserve it.
Pop this into your oven for 20-25 minutes at 400º, or until the cheese has melted nicely and the edges of the flatbread are beginning to brown and crisp.
Remove your pizza from the oven and while it’s still piping hot, drizzle some Sweet Chili Sauce over top. If you’re not sure what that is..click here. It is available at Wal-Mart and most stores now in the Asian section. It’s like a sweet and sour sauce kicked up with chili’s but not too hot…just delicious!
Pop it back into the oven now for an additional 2-3 minutes, just to warm up the sauce. Remove it and and cut it into fourths.
This is so marvelous.
A little closer….
If you love crab rangoon, you must make this!
Ya hear? Make it today!
- 4 wonton wrappers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 T. olive oil
- 4 multi grain flatbreads
- 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese
- ½ c. finely chopped onions
- 2-3 T. horseradish ( or 4 if you love horseradish!)
- 1 package flaked imitation crabmeat
- 1 c. Asiago cheese
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions
- 3 T. asian style sweet chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- On lined cookie sheet, drizzle olive oil and brush all over foil.
- Lay out strips of wontons, not touching and brush with additional olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- In medium bowl, with mixer, blend together cream cheese, onions, and horseradish.
- Spread ¼of mixture over one flatbread almost to edges.
- Top with ¼ of the crabmeat. Sprinkle ¼ of the Asiago over top.
- Chop up green onions and sprinkle ¼ over cheese, then sprinkle with ¼of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning and the flatbread edges are brown and crisping.
- Remove from oven and drizzle chili sauce overtop.
- Return to oven for 2-3 minutes and then top with crumbled wonton strips.
- Cut into fourths and serve!
|KB Crab Rangoon Flatbread Pizza
|Chocolate Hazelnut Potstickers
|Kayla in India
|Typical Weekend at Our House