- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Do you have a husband who mixes his corn into his mashed potatoes?
Then this dish is for you!
Or…him, I should say.
We like to do this with leftover vegetables that may be facing the danger of going bad soon. Today’s version used up red peppers and green onions, but you can use whatever you like!
Start out by peeling up some potatoes – we used about 8-10 medium size russet potatoes. You probably wouldn’t even have to peel them if you don’t want to. Toss them into a large pot and cover them with water.
Let these boil for about 20 minutes or until they get fork-tender.
In another small saucepan, dump in about a cup of milk and add in one (8 oz) block of cream cheese. This is one of those recipes where low-fat will work just fine.
Chop up one-half of a red pepper into small cubes. Also chop up 4 green onions pretty fine.
In another small saute pan, melt one-half stick of butter and add in your chopped veggies.
Also, press in two cloves of garlic as well, or just mince them up really fine. Stir this all together for about three to four minutes.
When the potatoes are almost done, dump two cups of fresh or frozen corn right into the same pot with the potatoes.
Cook another 3-5 minutes, then drain potatoes.
Return these back to the large pot and add in your veggies, along with any butter that remains in the pain. Give this a rough mash with a potato masher and then add in your milk/cream cheese mixture, cheddar cheese and salt and pepper. Coarsley mash again.
Spoon your mash into a bowl and serve piping hot.
This is comfort food at its finest. And maybe a way to sneak in a little extra veggies for your kids?
- 10 medium size russet potatoes, peeled
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz) cream cheese
- 2 c. fresh or frozen corn
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- Dump potatoes Into large pot over high heat and cover with water. Bring to boil then turn down to just bubbling and cook about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- During last 3 minutes of potatoes cooking, dump corn right into the same pot.
- In small saucepan, heat milk and cream cheese over medium-low heat until cream cheese melts. Whisk smooth.
- In small saute pan, melt butter and saute onion and red peppers about 3-4 minutes.
- Press in garlic cloves.
- Drain potatoes and corn and return to large pot.
- Add in sauteed vegetables and contents from milk/cream cheese pan.
- Coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add in salt, pepper and cheddar cheese and coarsley mash again. Spoon into bowl and serve!
Katie’s Printable Recipe – Veggie Potato Mash
|Veggie Potato Mash
|Holiday Mashed Potatoes
|Skillet Breakfast Hash – A One Pot Wonder
|WHAT TO MAKE WITH THESE?