This has by far become Mr. Wonderful’s favorite new dish that I fix. And it’s one pot. One pot to cook, one pot to clean. Just think if you used paper plates what a wonderful thing that would be!
But you don’t want to use paper plates. You want to use a deep bowl or giant mug and eat this for the comfort food that it is. This tastes like it was slow-cooked for hours (but really only in one and a half hours) and has the luscious depth of flavor from chicken thighs melting over root vegetables and all of it absorbing the herbacious flavor of red wine and olive oil all mixed together. This is so good.
Can I tell you something?
It was a complete experiment using up what I had in the refrigerator. Come let me show you what I did.
Chunk up about 8 medium-large size red potatoes and one large sweet potato. Peel and cut up 4-5 carrots. Cut up one red onion into small chunks. In a large heavy pot with a lid, toss this all in then sprinkle over top with one package of sliced cremini mushrooms and about 8-10 cherry tomatoes that have been sliced in half.. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Lay 6 chicken thighs over top and sprinkle with kosher salt and some cracked black pepper.
And just because I have a garden brimming over with herbs, which by the way, is the only LIVING THING IN MY YARD due to 100º for 50 some odd days, I added in some sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano (I’ve also used thyme).
Pop the lid on.
Then I stuck this into a 375º oven for about an hour and a half. That’s it, just walk away and forget about it.
And one and a half hours later…
Pure healthy deliciousness.
My husband keeps asking for this. And I am happy to oblige. Because it’s easy..
And easy to clean up. My two favorite things
- 8 medium size red potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- one medium onion (red or yellow)
- one small package cremini mushrooms (8-12 oz)
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 chicken thighs (can use regular or boneless skinless)
- 1 t. kosher salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 2 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme (fresh) or oregano
- (Can substitute ½ t. each dried herbs)
- Preheat oven to 375º. Cut both regular and (peeled) sweet potatoes into bite size chunks (skin on). Peel and slice carrots into ¼ inch rounds. Peel and cut onion into bite size chunks. Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Peel and finely mince garlic. Add first 6 ingredients to large heavy pot with lid. Arrange chicken on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour vinegar, oil and wine over top. Top with fresh herbs Pop lid on and bake for 1½ hours.
If you like this post, you might like these as well!
|Skillet Chicken, Potatoes and Mushrooms
Kayla and I saw Jamie Oliver make something like this recently and were literally salivating watching...
|Cheater's Guide to Homemade Chicken-N-Noodles
This is Conner's favorite dish hands down. He's such a boy and always doing something to make himself...
|Thanksgiving Organization List
Last night I sat down and wrote out our menu for Thanksgiving in list form. This helps Mr. Wonderful...
|Homemade Vegetable Stock
Starting in January, you may remember Mr. Wonderful and I were doing a Daniel Fast or a 21 day plant-...