I am in heaven after Mr. Wonderful bought me an iPad for Christmas. The techie in me can’t get enough of all the cool things I can do on it. I put his picture on it as a screen saver and asked him if I could disappear with it for a month to a remote cabin in the woods that had WiFi (of course), and be left alone to it. I would talk to his picture every day, so I wouldn’t really be neglecting him…right?
Just kidding. I would not survive a month away from him. But I do seem to spending a lot of time with my iPad.
Last night I actually found something that will probably become my favorite app for a long while. I tweeted (click here to find my Twitter) about this app, and several I knew had not heard about it…so I thought this might make a good post to let people know who didn’t…
The Overdrive Media Console App (by Overdrive Inc.)
With this app, you can download eBooks and audio books from your library directly to your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android device along with Kindle or Nook as well!
My Mom-in-law first told me about this months ago, but I couldn’t find my library card (needed to log onto the app). So last night, I visited the library and got a new shiny card and set off getting set up on it.
There was a little bit of set up required after downloading the app. You need to register and set up an Adobe Reader account. Then you have to select your library…
Oh! You have to have an active library card with your local library as well as that is what you’ll enter to login to Overdrive. My library has a 2 week limit of 5 books at a time. And it AUTOMATICALLY checks them in for you after the time limit…no OVERDUE FEES! Yes!
Here is what you do once you download the app (or at least what I did on my iPad). Check it out following the ad below.
- Select the Overdrive Media Console App
- You will be prompted to Sign In or Register at Adobe.com
- Select Cancel
- The app opens to your Bookshelf (it should say “Welcome to Overdrive Media Console”). The Bookshelf is where your Adobe EPUB ebooks will be downloaded to
- Select “Get Books” on the upper right corner of the screen
- Select “Settings” on the bottom of the screen
- On this screen, you will see “Adobe Authorization”
- Select “Authorize”
- On the bottom of the screen, select “Get a free Adobe ID”
- You will be taken out of the Overdrive app and onto www.adobe.com on your Safari
- Select Create an Adobe Account
- Fill in the boxes (only fill in the fields with asterisks)
- Under Communication preferences, UNCHECK Email, Mail, Telephone
- Scroll down and tap Continue
- The next screen should say “Thank you for becoming a member of the
- Adobe Community”
- Scroll all the way to the top
- Select“Welcome, your name” located on the upper right corner of the screen
- A drop down menu will appear
- Select on Sign out
- Select the Home Button
- Open the Overdrive App
- Type in your new Adobe ID and password
- Tap Authorize
- Then select Bookshelf (located on the upper right corner of the screen)
- Once you get connected, you simply Click on the “Get Books” button and start your search into reading!
My first pick…an old but wonderfully familiar classic in both audio and unabridged reading versions:
Once there you can see choices of ebooks or ePub books. If you have downloaded from another app like NOOK or B & N, you’ll see your book under eBooks. Some books are in PDF format which is unchangeable. Epub files can be changed for things like fonts, etc. Epub stands for”Open Publication Structure” eBook format and is a popular and freely available eBook standard so most use this format. Take your pick!
I can’t wait to keep exploring everything I can check out on my iPad and phone with this app! And I LOVE reading it on the iPad as no reading glasses are required…even in a dark room. I usually am rendered helpless to read print that way as my over 40 eyes no longer want to cooperate that way!
Try this out if you’re a reader! You’ll love it!
If you like this post, you might like these as well!
|A Rant on Kindness
I was on goodreads last night updating my reading status. I am reading a book and hopped on to...
|Save Your Recipes with Ziplist!
Here is something new and fun for you and me for the Dishin & Dishes blog! I am not partnering with...
|12 Days of Christmas Foodie Wish List 2012
It's almost December again and time for my 12 Days of Christmas Foodie Wish List. Every year, I try...
|Why are You a Christian?
Meet Jon Aaron. Jon Aaron has this favorite purple and black striped sweatshirt. I think I've only...