I’ve been wanting to cook with quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) now for months. Ever since I’ve heard about this grain once called the “gold of the Inca’s”, and about the fact that this little complete protein that is chock full of nutrients, I knew I wanted to cook with it.
But is is tasty, I wondered?
The answer and proof lay in this soup I made the other night.
This soup is hearty and filling even though it contains no meat. The broth is savory and wonderful due to the mushrooms releasing their pungent juices. The quinoa fills you up before you know it and the health benefits of all the ingredients together is just an added plus.
You’ll never know you’re eating health food because it’s just that good!
The printable recipe is below!
- 2 T. olive oil or coconut oil
- ½ Medium Onion, slivered (about 1¼ cups)
- 1 c. quinoa (uncooked)
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 large red potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 large carrots, chopped into very small pieces
- 12-16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 8 c. vegetable broth (2 boxes)
- 1 T. fresh thyme
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- In a heavy soup kettle or dutch oven, add oil and heat, then add the onions.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the quinoa and garlic, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes. then add the broth.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and bring the soup to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and continue to simmer 15 minutes..
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add in the fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Serve with crusty warmed bread for dipping.
|Navy Bean Soup
I have been on a soup kick ever since the cold has hit us this winter. This was, I believe, the...
|Quinoa “Fried Rice”
Last night I was craving fried rice, but two problems faced me. Number One - we were...
|Pasta Fagioli Soup
Here is the recipe I made while guest chef'ing (disclaimer, I am NOT a chef!) for the Gateway Garden...
|Chicken Tortellini Soup
A while back, my friend Joy and I were talking and she shared with me that she had made this deliciously...