I am a Thai curry lover.
Seriously, I love them all – Red, Green, Yellow, Panang, Massaman, Jungle…you name it. I am particularly fond of one at a local restaurant here.
The one that my daughter Tori and I crave is a yellow Massaman (Yellow) curry filled with tender chunks of chicken, soft-cooked potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes and it’s topped top with the satisfying crunch of roasted whole peanuts. It is so delicious!
I made a riff on it last night for Mr. Wonderful and I. I substituted butternut squash for the potatoes as I had some to use up and added in some red peppers, broccoli and shredded carrots to add some vegetable punch.
The curry paste and the coconut marry together in this sauce that causes one to sip spoonfuls of it alone just to savor the flavor. We added a scoop of rainbow quinoa instead of white rice to finish it off.
We sat and slurped on it last night as we watched the Vice Presidential debate.
No matter how frustrated you can get at political bantering between parties, curry will always soothe.
To me it’s the ultimate comfort food that’s good for you too.
- 1 T. coconut or olive oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ large red pepper, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1½ c. butternut squash or sweet potato, cubed
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed (small cube)
- 2 small chicken breasts sliced thinly, 1 inch long
- 1 T. Massaman curry paste (or to taste for spiciness) I use Mae Ploy
- 2 (8 oz) cans coconut milk
- 1 T. fish sauce
- 1 T. brown sugar (optional)
- 1 medium lime
- 1 c. dry roasted peanuts
- Garnish: Thai Basil or Cilantro
- Place butternut squash and potatoes into covered microwave dish and microwave on high 5-7 minutes with a tablespoon of water
- add coconut or olive oil to large pot and heat up over medium-high heat
- Add red pepper and onion to pot along with chicken and saute in oil about 2-3 minutes
- Add curry paste and stir to coat about 1-2 minutes
- Add in coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar
- add in squash and potatoes
- Simmer (barely bubbling) 5 minutes
- Add in broccoli
- Simmer an additional 3-4 minutes until broccoli is tender but not mushy
- Squeeze lime over top and stir in
- Spoon over rice or quinoa and top with peanuts
- Garnish with Thai basil or cilantro
See what other wonderful food bloggers are making using fall squash in this week’s Food Network Fall Fest!
A Mind “Full” Mom: Hidden Veggie Quesadilla
The Fed Up Foodie: Bread Dressing Stuffed Acorn Squash
Foodtastic Mom: Pumpkin Shepherd’s Pie
Dishin & Dishes: Thai Massaman Curry With Chicken and Butternut Squash
Devour: Combine Squash and Pasta for the Ultimate Fall Comfort Food
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Delicate Squash, Shiitake, Kale & Quinoa Salad
Swing Eats: Zucchini Soufflé (gluten-free)
Healthy Eats: 6 Ways to Use Canned Pumpkin in Healthy Fall Meals
FN Dish: The Very Best Ways to Put In-Season Butternut Squash to Use
|Lemongrass Thai in Edmond -Deliciousness
Lemon Grass Thai 253 S. Santa Fe Edmond, OK 73003 405-330-6888 website My daughter Kayla and I...
|Thai Jungle Curry
My husband's family has corrupted me. They've pulled me into the wonderful world of Asian food and...
|Thai Green Curry Poached Salmon
I am a lover of all things curry, but especially Thai curries that involve coconut milk. We are trying...
|Thai Salmon Power Buddha Bowls
Announcement! I am so hooked on making Buddha or Power Bowls that I have created a section for them...